To see what happens when good comment threads go bad, go visit Ace
. Holy crap, what a shitstorm. And of course, I have to read the whole thing; it's like a trainwreck, I just can't look away.
The sad part is that there's some great discussion and funny stuff buried in there amongst the blah-blah-ASSHOLE!-blah.
I have a lot thoughts, but I'll keep it limited:
1. Legally speaking, Michael is still Terri's wife. Realisitically speaking, he is either married to her, and is bound by everything that entails; or he isn't, and is free to do whatever he wants. After 15 years, I don't fault the guy a bit for, in essence, leaving his wife and finding someone else. But still insisting that he is married to her when he is living with and producing children with another woman is silly. It is either one or the other. Dosen't make a bit of differance as long as he retains that marriage certificate, but it's still silly.
2. Bill from INDC
has a knack for pissing people off.
3. I am firmly convinced Michael Schaivo is an asshole. Maybe not so much of an asshole that he actively wants to kill his wife, but an asshole none the less.
4. Personally, I'm not convinced that Terri should die, or more exactly, wants to die. I know that the courts have more info than I and have decided that she should, but based on what I've seen, I'm not convinced.
5. I completely fail to understand why, if she should die, we can't at least give her the curtosey of a lethal injection, or a gun to the face, or something. I don't buy that death by dehydration is in any way pleasant or peaceful; rather, it seems to me to be the very definition of "Cruel and unusual".
6. Politicians of all types disgust me; it makes me wonder why I follow politics so much. They are all the worst aspects of a greasy lawyer and a grandstanding celebrity rolled into one slimy, smelly ball.
6. Finally, and most importantly, none of that matters a damn bit. Terri has had every benefit the law provides; what is happening precisely what the law lays out. I don't pretend to know much about law, but I've read alot of stuff on this angle over the past few days from people that do know and this much seems clear. Must reads on this subject: Steve H
, an excellent essay at Football Fans for Truth
, and a lawyer who has been following the case for years