<$BlogRSDURL$>
20050316
 
welcome to the pup tent
Michele has buyer's remorse. Which is a shame; when Michele was still doing politics, I always liked what she had to say on the subject.

It's funny, because here's how she describes herself:
I’m a gay rights supporter who drives an SUV and is against gun control, who doesn’t believe in God, who is an un-P.C. person that hates the NEA, who thinks faith based initiatives are wrong and the government should stay out of our bedrooms, who is no longer so gung ho about things in Iraq


Now, I don't agree with her take on where the war has gone, but aside from that and perhaps some details, we're on the exact same page. And while I may not be solid Republican, I still consider myself solid right. Maybe not in the big tent, but hanging around the bonfire drinking beer out back.

One of the major complaints from center-right Bush voters is the religious takeover of the party. Whether this is true or not I don't know, and is immaterial anyway, because if the Republicans change from being seen as the party of hawkism and fiscal conservativism to the party of Jesus, they're going to lose a crap load of votes. Say hello to President Hillary.

The trick, which dosen't really seem to difficult to me, is to keep the religious right to vote R while tempting the libertarian/southpark/whatever voters. It's funny, becuase while the administration has made alot of noise about "Family rights" and "Faith initiatives", there really hasn't been much actually done about it. Has gay marriage laws, or abortion laws, or school prayer laws changed signifigantly at the federal level over the past five years? Not that I can tell.

And yet, they're being bashed as the party of Pat Robertson. It should be the opposite: do enough of the religious agenda to keep the Flanderses happy, go to church on Sunday and say God Bless when somebody sneezes, and other than that STFU about it. Talk about family-based initiatives, if you have to. Talk about sensible economic and foreign policy. Focus the public on the smart, real things that that Republicans stand for, and the God folks will come along.

Anyway. That's tangental. The point is that if the R's bet their whole political strategy on religion, they lose, and our evil genius Rove is too smart for that.

I don't really know what to say about her lessening of support for the war. I still think it was the right decision based on what we had going at the time. We're doing everything we can to end it as softly as possible. The bodycount climbs for both Americans and Iraqis, and there is nothing I would want more than for that to stop, but quitting before we're done is only going to cause more problems for us and especially for them.

So, what about all the other issues she mentions. Well, sadly, many of them don't have simple answers. Social Security. The deficit. The problems we continue to have in the ME. Gay Marriage. Education. Gun Control. Abortion. Etcetera etcetera. The ongoing problems of American politics.

When I look at those problems, I ask the same question I asked myself before the elections: Who is likely to fuck it up the least?

And I suppose that this is why I still consider myself a pretty solid right-winger. Because when I look at the Republican's solutions, they seem to range from pretty smart to pretty stupid. The Democrat's solutions, with a few (relatively minor, to me) exceptions, range from moderatly stupid to outright suicidal.

I think banning Gay Marriage is stupid. But I think banning firearms is even stupider. Prescription drug plan? Stupid. Full-on socialized medicine? Suicidal. Invading Iraq? Dangerous, and, at points, stupidly executed. Relying on the UN to solve the problem? Please, kill me now and spare me the trouble.

I used to think I was a Libertarian. Then I read what libertarianism is really all about, and ran screaming from the room. To use a phrase coined by "htom" in Michele's comments, I think from now on I'm going by "Rational Anarchist".

I don't seem to fit any of the labels, and I like it that way. But I still don't regret my vote last time around, despite the various stupidity that will assuredly ensue because of it. Abstaining to vote or voting third party is a cop out, in my book, because really there's only two choices, and of the two, I still think I made the right one. Not a perfect choice, but better than the alternative.

Screw the big tent. Those guys are friggin' boring anyway. Until they come out and try to make me sing "Kumbaya" around my bonfire, I'm just fine where I'm at, wherever the hell that actually is.

as usual, it's off the cuff and subject to editing later
 
|


(Credit)

howdy, thanks for stopping by. what you're looking at is the intermittent ramblings of an iraqi vet, college student, goth-poseur, comic book reading, cheesy horror loving, punk listening, right-leaning, tech-obsessed, poorly typing, proudly self-proclaimed geek. occasionally, probably due to these odd combinations, i like to think i have some interesting things to say; this is where they wind up.



"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us...We need the books that affect us deeply, like the death of someone we loved more than ourselves, like being banished into forests far from everyone, like a suicide. A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside of us.
-Kafka



geeks-in-arms:
ace o spades hq
bargain-basement allahpundit
a small victory
army of mom
babalu blog
beautiful atrocities
being american in t o
belmont club
blame bush!
castle argghhh!
citizen smash
the command post
common sense runs wild
curmudgeonly & skeptical, r
curmudgeonly & skeptical, pg-13
dean's world
drill sergeant rob
edshots
exit zero
enjoy every sandwich
feisty repartee
fistful of fortnights
free will
four right wing wacos
ghost of a flea
half the sins of mankind
the hatemonger's quarterly
hog on ice
house of plum
hubris
id's cage
ilyka damen
imao
incoherant ramblings
in dc journal
instapunk
iowahawk
the jawa report
knowledge is power
lileks bleat
the llama butchers
memento moron
moxie
the mudville gazette
naked villainy
nerf-coated world
those damned pajama people
professor chaos
professor shade
the protocols of the yuppies of zion
protein wisdom
the queen of all evil
seven inches of sense
shinobi, who is a f'n numbers ninja, yo
tall dark and mathteriouth
talkleft
the nose on your face
the thearapist
this is class warfare
texas best grok
tim worstall
vodkapundit
way off bass
wizbang

other must reads: