<$BlogRSDURL$>
20050829
 
cleansing breath
After that last one, I needed something to wash all the crappy music out of my head. If you do too, go check out Interpol. Good stuff.

One of my problems, when it comes to music, is that I don't really have, like, friends. We moved to the suburbs of Pittsburgh without alot of local connections, most of my high school friends are long gone or don't want to talk to me. Between school and work, I don't really have time to hang out with people. My girlfriend, who is my friend, isn't really terribly sociable and dosen't like many people I do want to hang out with. For that matter, I'm not overly sociable myself; I talk to people, but I don't go out of my way to try to get to know anybody either.

That's by way of explination, not whining. The biggest reason I don't have friends locally is that I don't much care to. We don't talk to people in our apartment complex, when we go out, its very much of a twosome, I don't try to get involved with people at school or work. I talk to people, I'm not a total introvert, but only at school or work. Three conflicts: I don't have time or energy to work my schedule around going to a bar or whatever, my girlfriend is my first priority people-wise, and I don't think I'm missing anything enough to try to change it. Interpersonal contact with my girlfriend and my dad and brother every once in a while is good enough for me.

But what I am really missing out on is good music stuff. I don't like a whole lot of the stuff they play on the radio 24/7. Most of it is just the same old crap, over and over. People out there know where the good bands are playing and what the good new albums are, but I don't know any of those people.

So the other day I was talking to a guy at work about music, and it turns out he likes alot of the same stuff I do. But when we drifted away from radio stuff into what he really liked, I hadn't heard an awful lot of it. It's not really obscure stuff, just stuff that you would have to be familiar with the scene to know.

So yeah, sucks to that. Again, the old tradeoff: I can go to school and keep up a steady relationship with a great girl, or I can know what the good bands are of the moment. Not exactly mutually exclusive, but there's only so much time in one's day.
 
|


(Credit)

howdy, thanks for stopping by. what you're looking at is the intermittent ramblings of an iraqi vet, college student, goth-poseur, comic book reading, cheesy horror loving, punk listening, right-leaning, tech-obsessed, poorly typing, proudly self-proclaimed geek. occasionally, probably due to these odd combinations, i like to think i have some interesting things to say; this is where they wind up.



"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us...We need the books that affect us deeply, like the death of someone we loved more than ourselves, like being banished into forests far from everyone, like a suicide. A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside of us.
-Kafka



geeks-in-arms:
ace o spades hq
bargain-basement allahpundit
a small victory
army of mom
babalu blog
beautiful atrocities
being american in t o
belmont club
blame bush!
castle argghhh!
citizen smash
the command post
common sense runs wild
curmudgeonly & skeptical, r
curmudgeonly & skeptical, pg-13
dean's world
drill sergeant rob
edshots
exit zero
enjoy every sandwich
feisty repartee
fistful of fortnights
free will
four right wing wacos
ghost of a flea
half the sins of mankind
the hatemonger's quarterly
hog on ice
house of plum
hubris
id's cage
ilyka damen
imao
incoherant ramblings
in dc journal
instapunk
iowahawk
the jawa report
knowledge is power
lileks bleat
the llama butchers
memento moron
moxie
the mudville gazette
naked villainy
nerf-coated world
those damned pajama people
professor chaos
professor shade
the protocols of the yuppies of zion
protein wisdom
the queen of all evil
seven inches of sense
shinobi, who is a f'n numbers ninja, yo
tall dark and mathteriouth
talkleft
the nose on your face
the thearapist
this is class warfare
texas best grok
tim worstall
vodkapundit
way off bass
wizbang

other must reads: