<$BlogRSDURL$>
20050805
 
more bird stuff
This was going to be a comment to this post, but it was getting long so it's going to get a post all its own instead.

I've read alot about parrots. Right now, I would love to have one. But I have neither the time nor the space to bring up a full-grown bird, so I won't get one. I won't have one until I can do it properly. As the commentor points out, birds are not only much smarter than most pets, they can be much more difficult, and a few mistakes can be disastrous.

I actually have some family members that bought a parrot, an African Grey, in Africa, that had been caught in the wild. I don't know how old it was when they bought it, but man was it a miserable creature. It hated people, it had no feathers because it was constantly pulling them out, and eventually it died. I personally think that they were the best bird-parents in the world, but that's only my opinion, the critter may have been scarred before they even got it.

When I bought my cockatiel, I went all out. Bought the best cage, the best food and treats, and a plethora of books on how to treat the little bugger. Not only were the books, in my opinion, wrong on several points (after bringing one up), but a cockatiel is a much easier bird to raise than a parrot. A cockatiel dosen't have all that much brain-power, he'll learn to love you as long as you keep feeding him.

Anyway, that was sortof my whole point: the research is implicit. I've already read alot about them; I know that many birds that people call "mean" are only that way because of their owners.

Alot of people buy pets, especially birds and fish, as an ornament, a decoration. People buy them and then don't expect to do much with them; they are to sit in the corner and look pretty and play when their owner wants them to. Fish, generally, accept this; feed them every so often and they are happy. But a bird needs more, from bugees to Alex, they won't stand for being left in a cage all day long. Birds need interaction and stimulation, and the smarter the bird, the more stimulation they need.

Which begs the question, how would I treat a parrot? I already explained the lengths I went to for my cockatiel, which is a rather simple bird. But more importantly, around our house, the pets are treated extrodinarily well. The cockatiel is free from his cage 24/7. We talk to the chinchilla like he can understand us. The people in the house may be eating pasta for the tenth time that week, but the animals have good food. And they eat our food despite our buying them the good stuff.

The pets in our house are treated, really, like people; not like ornimentation but rahter like defenseless roommates. We take care of them as we would a relative. A relative that was completely dependant upon us for his survival and happiness; we research the topic and do everything we can to make them happy.

Occasionally, we may even go to ridiculous lengths. We have a tank of Sea Monkeys, AKA Brine Shrimp, that live like kings. We've read all the literature on them, and know how best to raise them.

I certianly wouldn't do anything less for an animal as smart as a parrot. If I ever was to buy one, it wouldn't be until I could give it what it needs. I'd read whatever I could get my hands on first, find a decent breeder, and do everything I could to make sure it is raised properly.

I hope I can focus that much attention on my children, should I ever have any. Birds are much more interesting.
 
|


(Credit)

howdy, thanks for stopping by. what you're looking at is the intermittent ramblings of an iraqi vet, college student, goth-poseur, comic book reading, cheesy horror loving, punk listening, right-leaning, tech-obsessed, poorly typing, proudly self-proclaimed geek. occasionally, probably due to these odd combinations, i like to think i have some interesting things to say; this is where they wind up.



"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us...We need the books that affect us deeply, like the death of someone we loved more than ourselves, like being banished into forests far from everyone, like a suicide. A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside of us.
-Kafka



geeks-in-arms:
ace o spades hq
bargain-basement allahpundit
a small victory
army of mom
babalu blog
beautiful atrocities
being american in t o
belmont club
blame bush!
castle argghhh!
citizen smash
the command post
common sense runs wild
curmudgeonly & skeptical, r
curmudgeonly & skeptical, pg-13
dean's world
drill sergeant rob
edshots
exit zero
enjoy every sandwich
feisty repartee
fistful of fortnights
free will
four right wing wacos
ghost of a flea
half the sins of mankind
the hatemonger's quarterly
hog on ice
house of plum
hubris
id's cage
ilyka damen
imao
incoherant ramblings
in dc journal
instapunk
iowahawk
the jawa report
knowledge is power
lileks bleat
the llama butchers
memento moron
moxie
the mudville gazette
naked villainy
nerf-coated world
those damned pajama people
professor chaos
professor shade
the protocols of the yuppies of zion
protein wisdom
the queen of all evil
seven inches of sense
shinobi, who is a f'n numbers ninja, yo
tall dark and mathteriouth
talkleft
the nose on your face
the thearapist
this is class warfare
texas best grok
tim worstall
vodkapundit
way off bass
wizbang

other must reads: