<$BlogRSDURL$>
20050913
 
will they dig up conrad veidt, as well?
They're remaking the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari? Dear God, why?

I don't know a whole lot about art, or film as art. What I do know is that I am a big fan of the Expressionist movement. It consisted primarily of Germans that had survived the first Great War, and talked about the War and the aftermath through art. The result is surreal, disturbing work of an authentic nature that absolutely no one has matched since.

Caligari is one of the best examples of that art form. Everything from the plot, to the costuming, to the scenery reflects a reality that is...shattered. Broken beyond repair. Whatever adjectives you want to apply to it, it is a direct product of the world from which it was made and the lives of the people that made it. That can not only be replaced; it cannot be effectively mimiced.

So why the hell are they remaking it? I find it hard to believe that they will produce anything of artistic merit out of it; the very fact that it's an update precludes a whole lot, and, as I said, the original is very much a product of its times. There's alot to be said about "Right Now", but pirating an exemplar piece of art and trying to force it into a modern light dosen't seem like too clever of an idea to me. It isn't going to be a big blockbuster; Caligari means nothing to too many people for it to matter.

I'm not an artist, but I do consider myself to be something of a writer. And I would never try to take, say, Slaughterhouse-5 and rewrite it to make it fit into 2005. It's a work all its own, a product of its times, and wouldn't work today. I wouldn't want to rewrite "Howl". My girlfriend, who is a painter, wouldn't take Max Ernst's work and re-paint it, no matter how much she admres the originals.

So why does the film industry insist on doing it? We're not talking about remaking the Exorcist or Willy Wonka here; much as I love those movies, they can be spun off into new movies. But Caligari?

I don't get it. I can't find a whole lot of information about the new one, but I don't like the shots on the main website already.

I don't know. I guess, depending on what they do with it, I may get fairly excited about it; I may even like it. That depends very, very heavily on what they do with it. But my strong initial reaction is, Dear God, why?

Bad news via Michele, who also has a handy list of how we can stop things like this from happening.
 
|


(Credit)

howdy, thanks for stopping by. what you're looking at is the intermittent ramblings of an iraqi vet, college student, goth-poseur, comic book reading, cheesy horror loving, punk listening, right-leaning, tech-obsessed, poorly typing, proudly self-proclaimed geek. occasionally, probably due to these odd combinations, i like to think i have some interesting things to say; this is where they wind up.



"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us...We need the books that affect us deeply, like the death of someone we loved more than ourselves, like being banished into forests far from everyone, like a suicide. A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside of us.
-Kafka



geeks-in-arms:
ace o spades hq
bargain-basement allahpundit
a small victory
army of mom
babalu blog
beautiful atrocities
being american in t o
belmont club
blame bush!
castle argghhh!
citizen smash
the command post
common sense runs wild
curmudgeonly & skeptical, r
curmudgeonly & skeptical, pg-13
dean's world
drill sergeant rob
edshots
exit zero
enjoy every sandwich
feisty repartee
fistful of fortnights
free will
four right wing wacos
ghost of a flea
half the sins of mankind
the hatemonger's quarterly
hog on ice
house of plum
hubris
id's cage
ilyka damen
imao
incoherant ramblings
in dc journal
instapunk
iowahawk
the jawa report
knowledge is power
lileks bleat
the llama butchers
memento moron
moxie
the mudville gazette
naked villainy
nerf-coated world
those damned pajama people
professor chaos
professor shade
the protocols of the yuppies of zion
protein wisdom
the queen of all evil
seven inches of sense
shinobi, who is a f'n numbers ninja, yo
tall dark and mathteriouth
talkleft
the nose on your face
the thearapist
this is class warfare
texas best grok
tim worstall
vodkapundit
way off bass
wizbang

other must reads: